Justice Department Ends 'Operation Choke Point'

Justice Department Ends 'Operation Choke Point'

WASHINGTON — The Justice Department has decided to end a controversial Obama-era program, “Operation Choke Point,” which discouraged banks from doing business with “elevated-risk” merchants.

In a letter sent to House Judiciary Chairman Bob Goodlatte, assistant Attorney General Stephen Boyd referred to the program as “a misguided initiative" and also said that banking regulators with the FDIC subsequently rescinded a list of “high risk” businesses.

Under Operation Choke Point, the Justice Department tried to encourage federally regulated banks to avoid doing businesses with certain get-rich-quick schemes, payday loan services and pyramid schemes. But the list of types of companies did not stop there; it also included pornography businesses, which typically involve constitutionally protected speech. 

Industry attorney Lawrence Walters of Walters Law Group on Saturday said that Operation Choke Point “was a misguided governmental attempt to impose morality by denying lawful but disfavored businesses access to basic banking services.”

“Adult entertainment companies and performers suffered as a result of this effort,” Walters told XBIZ. “It should have never happened and was of dubious constitutionality. Hopefully we will not see any similar programs in the future now that Operation Chokepoint has ended.”

Republicans in Congress last month sent letters to the Justice Departmen urging it to discontinue the program, saying complaints were mounting. They asked for an official statement saying Operation Choke Point was no longer in effect.

On Thursday, Boyd sent a letter to Goodlatte, the chairman of the Committee on the Judiciary in the House of Representatives, saying that the program “is no longer in effect, and it will not be undertaken again.”

Related:  

Copyright © 2025 Adnet Media. All Rights Reserved. XBIZ is a trademark of Adnet Media.
Reproduction in whole or in part in any form or medium without express written permission is prohibited.

More News

Pure Taboo Debuts 'Behind the Scenes Documentary' for Latest 'Under the Bed'

Pure Taboo has released a behind-the-scenes documentary on its series “Under the Bed,” spotlighting the episode “The Growth.”

Connie Perignon Toplines David Perry's 'Sexual Desires 2'

Connie Perignon headlines director David Perry's “Sexual Desires 2” from Evil Angel.

Proposed New Hampshire AV Bill Appears to Violate Constitution

A bill in the New Hampshire state legislature, aimed at requiring adult sites to age-verify users in that state, contains a provision that seemingly contradicts the Supremacy Clause in Article VI of the U.S. Constitution.

Rae Sixty Nine Makes Her TransAngels Debut

Rae Sixty Nine has made her TransAngels debut opposite Adam x Lee in the studio’s latest release, titled “Cock Ride.”

Ariel Demure Toplines 'TS MILFs' From TransSensual

Reigning XMAs Trans Performer of the Year Ariel Demure headlines “TS MILFs,” the latest title from Mile High Media studio imprint TransSensual.

AEBN Publishes Report on Fetish Trends

AEBN has published a report on fetish categories from its straight and gay theaters.

Online Child Protection Hearing to Include Federal AV Bill

A House subcommittee will hold a hearing next week on a slate of bills aimed at protecting minors online, including the SCREEN Act, which would make site-based age verification of users seeking to access adult content federal law.

Lana Wolf Returns to Immoral Productions

British star Lana Wolf stars in a new two-part scene from Immoral Productions alongside Dean Van Damme and studio honcho “Porno” Dan Leal.

Lulu Chu, Connie Perignon Star in 'Locked, Cocked & Loaded' From Brazzers

Lulu Chu and Connie Perignon star with Victor Ray in the latest release from Brazzers, titled "Locked, Cocked & Loaded."

Adriana Chechik Returns to Evil Angel With Blowbang From Jonni Darkko

Adriana Chechik has returned to Evil Angel with a blowbang from director Jonni Darkko.

Show More